Testing with Selenium can require adding a user-extensions.js to your Selenium IDE and Server.
Among open source solutions with JSLint plugin I found: Notepad++, jEdit, Netbeans, Eclipse and Aptana (please suggest others if you know).
Notepad++ (220.127.116.11) has a good plugin updated to 2011 (I can see the Node.js option) and you can put the variable Selenium in the options (Predefined field) of the plugin. The errors are displayed in the JSLint panel which is good but you cannot order them by error description. The only problem is that Notepad++ is for Windows (I have seen people using it with wine for Linux).
Notepad++ doesn’t provide a function navigator but it is possible to setup a Function List plugin manually (put the dll in the program files directory and the rest in the %appdata%/Notepad++/plugins/config with the xml in readonly) and add a rule as explained in this blog.
jEdit (4.5.1 pre1) is a good multiplatform editor. It has a function navigator (you have to install Sidekick plugin with the XML plugin) and it has a JSLint plugin (0.8)
The JSLint plugin is old (in the page you see that the latest release is in 2009) and indeed you don’t see the Node.js option, further you need to add /*global Selenium */ inside your script to make disappear the undefined variable Selenium message. The errors are displayed in the Error List panel and underlined in the file andyou cannot order them by error description
Netbeans (7.0.1) has his own JSLint plugin, with a configuration under Tools->Options->Miscellaneous->JSLint but the Predefined field doesn’t seem to work so you need to add /*global Selenium */ in your script. The error are displayed next to the file and under the Task list (see the instructions) and you can order them by error description.
With Netbeans you can see the function navigator in the Navigator panel. Compared with others IDE (Eclipse/Aptana) you can do the check on a file or in a project while the others can work only in the project.
For Eclipse (Indigo) I setup the JSLint plugin using the update site:
When you have setup the plugin, you see a RockStarApps menu and, as you can notice, the plugin is not updated to the last version of JSLint (Node.js is not there) but the Predefined field works.
The errors are displayed next to the file and under the Problems panel and you can group them by error description.
The errors are displayed next to the file and under the Problems panel and you can group them by error description. It doesn’t look to me stable for the moment (it seems not all the warnings I get with the others plugin are there).
Aptana has a function navigator in the Outline panel.